Tenor saxophoneNB: if you are an alto saxophone player willing to play tenor please get in touch and we can assist with access to an instrument
The audition registration fee for new applicants is $15.00. This fee is non-refundable.Â
If offered a position in the YWJO program, fees are paid per semester in February and again in July.Â The fee per semester is $300. The membership fee will provide you with:
- 8 rehearsals/workshops per school term with award winning conductor, Ellen Kirkwood.
- Workshops with national and international musicians. In 2016, the YWJO worked with Camille Thurman (USA), Ingrid Jensen (USA) and Christine Jensen (CAN).
- Professional performance opportunities at Sydney jazz clubs including Foundry616.
- A spot on the bill of the Sydney International Womenâ€™s Jazz Festival.
- The opportunity to learn about improvisation and large ensemble playing in a supportive and encouraging environment.
- Direct interaction with the composers and arrangers of the music you will be playing and performing.
Subsidies for financial hardship
At the discretion of the course director, a small number of subsidies are offered for families who are experiencing financial hardship. Please contact the directorÂ to discuss.
Applications closeFriday 10thÂ Feb
Saturday 11th Feb 2:00-5:00pm
Sunday 12th Feb 2:00-5:00pm
Term 1 datesFeb 15th â€“ April 5th
Scales (please play 2 octaves where possible):
- Major scales â€“ F, D, Eb, Ab, B
- Harmonic minor â€“ E, G, C, F#, C#
- Chromatic â€“ 2 octaves starting on a note of your choice
- 1 piece/excerpt in a jazz style, 1-2 minutes in length, optional improvised solo (if playing a solo, please provide your own backing track on CD or bring 1 concert pitch charts with chord changes for piano accompaniment).
- Big band excerpt (for piano and bass this will include notation and chord symbols).
- F major
- D major
- A harmonic minor
- 1 piece/excerpt in a jazz style, 1-2 minutes in length, optional improvised solo
- Big band excerpt
Demonstrate the following feels in varying tempos:
- swing feel
- latin feel
- your choice of a time signature other than 4/4 (e.g. 3/4, 5/4, 6/8)